Why work life balance is important?
A poor work life balance can negatively impact on your health and happiness.
If you have a good work-life balance, you are less stressed and happier. When you are happier, you are more likely to be motivated, productive, and do better in your work. Balancing family and career Working from home is quite hectic. but with a proper balanced life we can do it.
Finding a work-life balance is all about prioritization, planning and scheduling, time management, and communication tools that help you manage your workday and complete the tasks on your to-do list.
I have been working from home for the last six years, running a blog and writing books as well as coaching others in their writing. For three of those years, I had my teenage children living with me, and in the last two years; I got married.
Here are a few tips I have;
1. Set a schedule, and try to stick to it
2. Let people know exactly when they can and can not reach you. Personal activities can be planned during the day outside of work.
3. Wake up and go to bed at the same time every day.
4. Work a manageable number of hours.
5. Use communication tools to indicate your online and offline hours. E.g set your notifications to come in at certain times of the day, and indicate working hours on google calendar.
6. Use your personal time to recharge.
7. Use personal errands and activities to take breaks in the day.
One of the perks to working from home is less commuting, walking around the office, and office chit-chat. One can spend more time getting work done. This can also mean the solidarity of working from home can get lonely and make you feel like you do not have any time for yourself. Use personal errands to break up the day and take a couple of minutes away from the desktop.
8. Make plans for your after-work hours.
9. If your living space and your workspace are the same, it can be hard to step away from work at the end of the day. If you have somewhere to be at the end of your workday, you are more likely to actually sign off and finish working.
10. Plan ahead of things such as meals and prepare the night before. Keep a shopping list, plan meals, and shop once a week.
11. Get up and head outside, stand stretch, get a dose of vitamin D take a stroll around the block, and visit a park for lunch. When you return, you will be energized and ready to tackle the rest of your to-do list.
12. Eat a proper lunch. In a office one may feel more compelled to take a lunch break, 30 mins in the middle of the day. When working from home, there are no co-workers or cafes to remind you to do so. Take a proper break to nourish yourself and recharge for the rest of the day’s work.
13. Get ready for your workday the same way you do when you go to work.
14. When you work from home, you do not have to rush the same way you do when you go to work in the office. Instead of sleeping more and snoozing your alarm. Take a shower, make coffee and eat breakfast, get dressed. This will wake you up and mentally prepare you for being productive.
I hope you have found Balancing family and career Working from home tips helpful and can use them to create your own work-life balance.
For more article and helpful resources please visit my website